Friday, June 22, 2007

Positive Progress

The slump has been very hard. Doctors recommending surgery on my elbow and forbidding me from continuing to lift weights was a lot more difficult to respond to in a healthy way than I would have expected. I think I’ve been in mental hibernation for a couple weeks, through several tests and constantly worsening symptoms. I stopped doing nearly all cardio and of course I wasn’t doing any lifting. My weight stablized but it has been hard to resist bad habits without the recurring reminder of a training session to focus me on my goals. I’ve been moody and hard to get along with.

Tuesday, I took the day off to wait for the dishwasher installer. I took the morning off to mope and learn how to tie monkey fists. My obsessive personality of course suggested that I take the rope in to work and I’ve tied quite a few of these decorative knots over the last couple days. I don’t know if it is related but for the first time since my symptoms started, they have gotten a bit better instead of only getting worse. Maybe working my hands is helping. For a couple days, my hand has been mildly numb, there is almost no tingling and the pains have dropped almost to the point that I can’t feel them.

To top everything off, I had an amazing lunch today with my wife. I really wish you could have been there. Morels are still in season and Cafe Balabans makes them into the most amazing pasta I’ve had in ages.

Oh, and I think I might start studying another martial art tonight. Have you heard of capoeira? It is a Brazilian style, looks a lot like dancing and looks like a lot of fun. I think we will be going to class tonight. Maybe I’ll get a post up about how it goes.

No comments: